Led by President of the Republic Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez, and Prime Minister Manuel Marrero Cruz, another meeting took place yesterday afternoon to review the Covid-19 situation, where Minister of Public Health José Ángel Portal Miranda confirmed a fifth case of the virus in Cuba.
According to the minister, a Cuban patient, 63 years of age, resident in the Havana municipality of Diez de Octubre, who returned to the island from Spain on March 8, began to exhibit symptoms on the 11th. He sought medical attention on the 12th, and was hospitalized immediately. To date, Portal stated, “The patient has mild symptoms and is in stable condition.”
Regarding cases previously diagnosed, Portal reported that one of the Italian tourists, 61 years of age and with a history of bronchial asthma, began to exhibit complications on March 15, and is currently in critical condition.
The other three patients, he said, are in stable condition at Pedro Kourí Institute of Tropical Medicine. Individuals who had direct contact with these patients and passengers on the same flight from Italy are under observation and have shown no signs of infection, he stressed.
The minister said that since January 25, 470 individuals have been hospitalized for observation and 21,968 patients are being monitored by their primary care physicians. At the time of the meeting, 373 patients had been admitted for epidemiological surveillance, 145 from abroad and 228 Cubans. (Taken from en.granma.cu)